Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Giving Thanks For Canadian Thanksgiving

Apparently there's some truth to the rumor that too much (Canadian) Thanksgiving turkey can put you into a tryptophan induced stupor. That's the only way to explain the Canuck's visit to DC on Monday.

I thought the ugliest thing about Vancouver was their historically hideous jerseys until I got to witness this debacle. Three shots in more than two periods? Six minutes into the third period I leaned over to a nearby fan and quipped that "Even if Brent Johnson was perched on top of his goal like Snoopy, the Caps would still be winning this game".

Every imaginable break went the Cap's way tonight. Every missed pass inadvertently landed on another Cap's stick, every overlapping pass scheme led to sustained offensive zone time. And the Cap's karma even extended past the game to the ride home.

(I swear I am not making this up) The vehicle I drive has a lazy fuel gauge, so, as I drove home from the game, I ignored the "running on fumes" reading on my dashboard and favored my odometer method. Well, that was a bad idea. As my fuel-starved vehicle coasted lifelessly to a stop, it came to rest.... directly in front of the gas pump I was aiming for.

Everything, it seems, was going right for Caps players and fans on this night.

No comments: