Sunday, December 14, 2008

Full Court Press


Was that a playoff game against Montreal? It sure was contested like one. Very much like they did against Boston, the Caps found success by relentlessly pressuring the puck-carrier from one end of the ice to the other. Montreal couldn't find a groove to work with until late in the game.

The pressure didn't relent any when the team was shorthanded either. (OK, I can't be quiet. Does Bill McCreary hate the Capitals? Maybe familiarity breeds contempt, but every time a ref makes me want to detonate, it's always one of the dinosaurs like McCreary, Koharski, or Devorski.) Umm, yeah the pressure. I love the aggressive "come out and get you" style that Bruce has them playing on the PK. I think the "hang back and take away passing lanes" approach is bad for the psyche. Especially when you're facing a power play from Montreal that is flat-out broken.

Congrats to Simeon Varmalov, errr Varlamov (not only was Locker flubbing it, but Lisa Hillary was butchering it in the post game- to the point she stopped even trying to say it). It did take a while for him to be tested to the degree that I could see what he was made of, but they said he was aggressive, and they were right. I like aggressive. That's why I love Bruce. Fearless.

In a sport where courage is mandatory, it's worth noting that courage and fearlessness are not the same.

4 comments:

Reed-CK said...

call me crazy...I think Varlamov is one of the most important prospects in Capitals history.

Nation's Capital said...

Considering what position he plays... I REALLY hope you're right. I'm sure you're basing that on how things are starting to gel with the skaters.

Reed-CK said...

Well I think this because

#1: He's a goalie
#2: He's the future of Capitals Goaltending
#3: The Capitals have squandered past goalie prospects
#4: He's Russian
#5: We have tons of Russians
#6: We will likely attract lots of Russians
#7: Russians like it here (see Feds)
#8: He can be bred into our style (not implemented like Theo)

Mark Bonatucci said...

Whatever - winning back to backs and beating both Boston and Montreal is just great for a December. Let's hope the injuries aren't too bad ....