Thursday, December 11, 2008

Unholy Alliance?


The buzz around the hockey blogosphere these days is centered around the declaration at ThePensBlog calling for a movement to join with Caps fans and elevate Alex Ovechkin past the Canadiens players and into the starting line-up at the year's All Star Game. An excerpt of this call to action follows:

"In the coming month, Penguins fans and Caps fans from around the world will form the most unholy alliance to date. And we will be launching the largest internet battle in the history of the NHL."

Somewhat surprisingly, Pens faithful appear to be embracing the idea. Peerless Prognosticator and Capitals Kremlin have taken positions supporting it from a Capitals point of view. My way of thinking on the matter runs like this:

Nuh-uh. Ain't gonna happen.

For all the Ovechkin well-wishers out there who want the rightful owner of the left wing All Star starter status to get his rightful due, I gotta say, not at this price.

This game is a steaming pile to begin with and the voting process is laughable, as we can all plainly see. Do you think I'd be willing to set aside years of carefully cultivated pettiness and resentment just for that? Are you actually suggesting that I should go online and cast votes for Captain Lipstick? Just looking at his overpromoted face makes me nauseous. Maybe Malkin (yeah right, I doubt that too) but no way, no how for Crosby.

For all the objective minded people who can see past the uniforms and make rational decisions... I applaud you. I'm just not one of you. I wish the best for OV, but a man has to stand on his principles sometimes.

1 comment:

Reed-CK said...

I see your point but I also see hilarity in Canadiens fans not getting to cheer for any Canadiens in the starting line up. But at the end of the day, this game is a big pile of BS.